Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Antique Dresser in Homestead House Cappuccino & Champlain Milk Paint


A trip to the local thrift store found this antique beauty just begging for me to take it home. It is a solid well made tall boy made by Hammond Furniture, a Canadian company.


 The inset wood design on the top drawer front caught my eye seeing it restored to its original luster.



I stripped the drawer front and top and sanded smooth to bare wood


then applied Homestead House stain & finishing oil all in one in cappuccino, this all in one finish is so lovely to use as it has minimal smell and goes on smoothly.


The pieces each had 2 coats with the top getting 3 with a light sanding between coats


The original hardware on the left was scrubbed and refreshed with a coat of Rub 'n Buff in antique gold. It does not make them look new but more of an even sheen.


For the body of the dresser I chose Homestead House Paint Co. milk paint in champlain. Milk paint has a mind of its own and will chip accordingly. This piece decided to go fairly chippy especially after coat #2. To seal it I used Fusion Mineral Paint's hemp oil. However if you prefer to seal in the chippiness to prevent further chipping use Fusion's tough coat matte wipe on poly.


And to add further dimension and age to the piece I added Fusion Mineral Paint's black/espresso wax mixed for a darker antiqued look.

 
The top received a 3rd coat to darken and match the drawer fronts. Antiques were made with solid wood but many times with a variety of types so some may need a bit more color then others. The third coat also added additional durability to the top.


The super solid construction of these beautiful pieces is visible here with the dove tail drawers and the wood dowel drawer stops and metal drawer glides.

















*Disclosure




I have received product as a brand blog rep in exchange for this post, but ALL the opinions are entirely MY own.  This post contains sponsored links for Fusion Mineral Paint &


Homestead House Paint Co. , there is no monetary benefit to me for clicking them.





Shared at these great linky parties
Friday's Furniture Fix
Farmhouse Friday

Comments