Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Walnut MCM Dresser with Warm White Accents

  I am a huge wood grain fan and when I find MCM pieces which usually are walnut wood I am thrilled to give them an update. This 6 drawer dresser did not disappoint. The warm white and wood combo is always a favorite of mine. How about you?

Custom Grandparents Dresser makeover


Grandma saved up and bought a lovely solid wood dresser, thru the years it served the family well. It went thru a few changes but eventually was put in storage as it no longer fit anyone's home. It was brought to me to be given new life with a few requests; "two tone and lighten it up but keep it old looking". Here is how I reloved this beauty.


First order of business, scrub it well. I used Dixie Belle Paint's white lightening cleaner and was very pleased with the results. Check out the water.


Seeing the base was a dark reddish I worried about bleed thru but Dixie Belle Paint Company has the answer for that too, BOSS.  It blocks stains and odors!. I applied a coat over all base and drawers and let dry well.


The top was lightly sanded and given a coat of General Finishes java gel stain and after 48 hours drying time it was sealed with General Finishes high performance top coat in flat sheen applied with a damp sponge in 2 coats drying 4 hours between coats.




For the base color I chose Dixie Belle paint in drop cloth, the same color I used on the rising coffee table. (I was lucky enough to win this fabulous gift pack in an Instagram giveaway)


Drop cloth is such a lovely warm white. I applied 2 coats with great coverage using a flat Cling On brush.


This is one coat and below is 2 coats and the dark wax process (left panel) to put age back into the paint job.


 I do not have any Dixie Belle dark wax so used my go to  Daddy Vans wax in cafe noir then a bit of Fusion aging wax which is just another shade of dark wax.


The hardware was scrubbed and put back on once dry.





It is all ready to head back to its home. I sure hope Grandma and Grandpa would be happy with the makeover on their sweet dresser, the grand kids are ;)












*Disclosure
I have received product in exchange for this post, but ALL the opinions are entirely MY own.  This post contains links for Dixie Belle PaintDaddy Vans  & General Finishes to help you find the items I used easily. There is no monetary compensation to me, they are just added for your convenience ;)

Linked Up to these Parties
Friday's Furniture Fix
Farmhouse Friday
Creative Inspirations

Comments